Friday, January 6, 2017

Ruby's Star Flower

We're happy to report another Vintage 30's Ruby's Treasures sighting! This beauty below, "Ruby's Star Flower," was designed by Jane Vaughan and is featured in the January/February issue of Quilting Quickly. We asked Jane to talk about her quilt. 

"Ruby's Star Flower" designed by Jane Vaughan and quilted by Annie Alessi;
featured in Quilting Quickly January/February 2017


Q. What attracted you to the Ruby’s Treasures collection?
Jane: I like 30’s prints and frequently use them in my quilts. The colors in this collection were so sweet and delicate.  They just fit the name Starflower.
Q. Do you have any particular favorite prints from the collection?
Jane: My favorite was the fabric I used for the border—the blue and yellow flower. I chose it first and designed the quilt from there.

Q. What prompted you to use yellow as the accent color throughout? 
Jane: Yellow is just bright and cheery.  I also wanted it to be neutral if I chose to use this as a baby quilt in the future.
Q. Can you tell us about the block that you used in your quilt? 
Jane: I've been designing blocks that look like flowers to me and this one just came about. The four-patches were serendipity! I had moved them around on the block design and when I put the blocks together, there they were! I had a few segments left over after making the blocks, so I used them in the corners of the outer border as well...it was simple as that.


Q. What do you like best about the quilt? 
Jane: The airy effect the flowers have; they just spin across the quilt.
Q. Can you tell us about the machine quilting?
Jane: Annie Alessi did the quilting for me on her long arm machine.  I told her to do something that looked like flowers.


See the entire Vintage 30's Ruby's Treasures collection by Barbara J. Eikmeier here
Find Quilting Quickly here.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful quilt! I also like the sunny yellow used throughout with the border, corners and binding. Wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very nice. Love the yellow.

    ReplyDelete